Jim Threapleton studied History of Art at Manchester University before establishing an international profile as a filmmaker. Jim has undertaken campaigns for MTV, Sony, UNICEF, and FIFA. His BIFA nominated debut feature film ‘Extraordinary Rendition’ premiered at the Edinburgh and Locarno International Film Festivals in 2008. This experience of working with improvised performances in film encouraged him to return to his interest in abstraction and take up painting again in 2009. He completed his Masters degree in 2010, and was later awarded a Doctorate in Fine Art from the Chelsea College of Art, London.
The plastic immediacy of oil paint greatly informs Jim's artistic practice, his interest in movement and form largely derived from the subjective potential of an emerging process. His paintings are configured as artefacts or memories of this process; the oil paint capturing a moment of potential. Jim's work has been successfully shown in London and Singapore, and is part of UK-based and international collections.
Exhibition History Highlights
2017 - ENEMY - Jim Threapleton | Phil Hale, No 20 Arts, London
- Ceremony - Group Show, Tat Art, Barcelona
- Ceremony - Group show, No 20 Arts, London
- Morphosis, Group Show, West Contemporary, London
2016 - AP42 Impression. Contemporary Printmaker Exchange, Macau
- WAC Prize Exhibition, Wells
2015 - Memories of the Hunt: Paintings and Prints, Serena Morton, London (solo)
2013 - Echo: Poetics of Translation ICA, Singapore
- 21, Home House, Portman Square, London
- Paint Club, Beaconsfield, London
2012 - Material Matters, East Wing X, Courtauld Institute of Art , London
- Jim Threapleton & Piers Jackson, Serena Morton Gallery, London
2011 - Never Mind, Space Studios, London
- Multiple Authors and Previous Owners , Chelsea College.
- S.A.G.S Woodmill Studios and Gallery, London
- Precious Little, Crypt Gallery, St. Martin in the Fields, London
2010 - MA Degree Show, Chelsea College of Art, London
- Auto Italia Gallery, London
ENEMY - Jim Threapleton | Phil Hale
80 page soft bound catalogue split retro verso between artists Jim Threapleton | Phil Hale.
Fully illustrated in colour
9 x 9 inches (23.1 x 23.1 cm)
Text by Michiko Oki
Please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase a copy.
24 pages, fully illustrated in colour5.8 x 8.3 inches (14.8 x 21 cm)
Click here to download a pdf version of the catalogue